Thursday 14 May 2015

Review- Tesco Finest Hot Cross Scones

What would the hybrid Love Child of Hot Cross Bun and Scone be? Why yes, a Hot Cross Scone of course! 


I picked up these 4 Finest Hot Cross Scones in Tesco for £1.50. They are made with Cornish buttermilk, dried fruit and candied peel. 


It certianly looked very promising! I loved the cross on top and it smelt exactly as a Hot Cross Bun would. 


I was impressed by the amount of candied peel the scone contained, upon cutting it in two - no one likes a fruit scone that's seriously lacking the fruit part, afterall! It was very soft and had a perfect golden crumbly texture. Taste wise, it was spot on! The scone was very buttery and had a lovely warming cinnamon spice to it. The dried fruit and chewy candy peel that ran throughout, gave bursts of sweetness that complimented the spice perfectly. The likeness to an actual Hot Cross Bun was uncanny - Apart from the obvious difference in texture, I am not sure you would know it wasn't one! 

Overall, I am so glad I found these scones. I would go as far as to say they might be the best I have ever bought from a supermarket. They are so moist and flavoursome.. I think adding any sort of topping would ruin them so put down the jam and cream, please! I hope they weren't just left over stock from Easter as I would buy them all year round. It's a 4.5 out of 5 from me! 

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum - these sound really good!! I hope they aren't just left over from Easter as would like to get my hands on some to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great! I reckon they would be popular all year round. Let me know what you think if you do manage to get your hands on some :D

      Delete
  2. Always, I want to try scones but in Polish Tesco, haven't got this :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thats rubbish then! You could always try making your own - Super simple and easy to do :D

      Delete