Tuesday 26 May 2015

Review- M&S Peach Melba Slices

These Peach Melba Slices were another item I bought from Marks & Spencer's Dessert Menu Range. They were on an introductory offer of £2.62 for 2 slices. 


Sponge layered with peach and raspberry jellies, vanilla and peach mousses and white chocolate, finished with a glaze, dusted with icing sugar. 


First of all, these were a nightmare to get out of the packaging. The box recommended sliding a knife 'carefully' under the base of each slice whilst holding the tray for support.. Because that clearly was always going to work. I ended up tipping them out onto their side whilst trying not to buff the tops. After much faffing about, I finally got stuck in. They smelt mildly fruity but had very little taste! I couldn't distinguish any sort of flavour from the jellies or even sweetness from the white chocolate. They were mainly just sickly from all the bland creamy mousse! Texture wise they were equally as unpleasant - It was all very mushy until you chomped down on an underripe peach. Very poor! 

I don't know what M&S are playing at with this new Dessert Menu Range - These slices are just as naff as the English Afternoon Tea Desserts, I reviewed a few weeks back. Thank goodness they are Limited Edition and hopefully won't be around for long! It's another, 0 out of 5 from me. 

11 comments:

  1. See if you can try the salted caramel brownie slices. We were all very impressed with those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Peach Melba slice are nicer if placed in the freezer and eaten as an ice cream slice type of dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I can't imagine that making them any nicer - They are so bland!

      Delete
    2. The texture is much more pallettable, they won't annoy you as much trying to remove them from the package and as your tongue isn't instantly engulfed in mush it's easier to distinguish flavours. At room temperature I agree tge mousse is vile and frankly smells peculiar.

      Delete
    3. I am not prepared to buy them again and find out to be honest - Im put off for life lol =)

      Delete
    4. Haha in that case, stick to your original plan of avoiding them like the plague. The Salted Caramel Brownie and Dulce De Leche slice are quite nice though. I'm not much of a cake fan so these chilled desserts are more up my alley.

      Delete
  3. Who isn't a cake fan!? CAKE IS MY LIFE! haha. I looked for the Salted Caramel Bownies yesterday but couldn't find them =( I'll keep my eyes peeled for both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brownies* Not sure Bows taste nice!

      Delete
    2. Watch out for a Blackcurrant special coming near Christmas also. They are delightful :)

      Delete
    3. Oo sounds good - Thanks for the heads up :)

      Delete