Monday 5 December 2016

Snackmas Day 5- Krispy Kreme Season's Treatings: Santa Belly and Melting Snowman

I've been waiting for it. You've been waiting for it. Nibs has practically been beside herself with worry. We've pondered, we've speculated.. But no more - The sugar plum fairies have finally worked their magic and Krispy Kreme and their 2016 festive Doughnuts are upon us, at long last! 


In stores and cabinets from today, a (Upside down, in my case) jolly, jiggling Santa Belly and a rather macabre, Melting Snowman which I picked up in Tesco for £1.90 a pop - I was so eager this morning, I actually saw the KK van delivering them and everything! Also, isn't it lovely to see how, that despite it being the busy season, the KK monkey's haven't let their decorating skills slip.. The Doughnuts are so neat and uncanny to the promo images, right!? 

Santa Belly


Hand dipped in raspberry flavoured red icing, filled with chocolate truffle Kreme, hand decorated with chocolate iced buttons and belt, then finished with a buckle. 

Did I expect to be slicing poor Santa in half this Christmas? No, no I did not but there I found myself, knife wielding, ready to reveal the filling within. Light, fluffy and of a good KK standard, the dough itself was a winner with no uncooked stodge in sight and delivering that signature taste we all know and love. The chocolate Kreme of 2015 was back but wasn't as whipped as usual although still plenty soft with a real cocoa rich flavour.. And of a more than generous quantity! This paired up nicely with the thick and sticky layer of tangy, fruity raspberry icing (Seen previously with the Love Bug) on top. Tasty but relatively boring - It's a 3.5 out of 5 from me. 

Melting Snowman


Hand dipped in white chocolate flavour coating, filled Lotus Kreme, then hand decorated with chocolate iced buttons and scarf. 

Moving onto the Melting Snowman which came with a cracky and crumbling topping that went pretty much, everywhere. Similarly to above, the doughnut itself was once again faultless in being light and aerated and a good base flavour to the abundance of mousse-like Lotus Kreme which delivered a pure hit of caramelised biscuit. The coating didn't really taste of much, certainly not identifiable as white chocolate but did add further sweetness. Finishing things off, was of course, the Snowman's face, made of a harder fondant icing for that added something extra. Fairly 1 dimensional and that of April but 100 times duller - A 3 out of 5. 

Overall, I am quite disappointed by this duo.. And can't fathom why, after such a cracking year of pushing the boat out with a whole host of "new" flavours that KK would do themselves such a disservice by using the same old chocolate truffle and Lotus Kreme fillings? I like both, don't get me wrong but what about a flavour of the actual season? I am not asking for the world or heaven forbid, demand something as wild as mince pie or cranberry but a simple chocolate orange or mint number wouldn't go a miss rather than adopting the unoriginal and lazy "Let's just take bits from other Doughnuts" approach - It's not even a case of style over substance as they don't even look good! Maybe Krispy Kreme are saving themselves for the New Year? Maybe a bang is coming? I really do hope so as neither Santa Belly or Melting Snowman, even fizzle! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear these sound a bit naff. Surely some spiced cinnamon filling wouldn't go amiss, or gingerbread! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a let down, Butty :( I thought spice would be way to much to ask hence why I would've settle with choc orange or mint! Haha. Silly, unimaginative KK! xx

      Delete
  2. Not only am I beside myself that they are sold out I'm disappointed with how they've turned out for you. I really thought the snowman's head was 3D why didn't they plop a little marshmallow on top and give it some eyes! And no christmassy flavours. Opportunities missed KK!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am distraught for you :( It isn't fair at all :( Omg that would have been epic!! They could have done so much more.. KK have really let themselves down in a big way. I want to know which bright spark thought not doing something new was the way forward.. Did they fire the genius who's given us all that they have this year? I want to know who's calling the shots here, Peanut!! xx

      Delete
  3. Chocolate... because chocolate is more Christmassy than gingerbread? A gingerbread doughnut would be amazing and quite easy for Krispy Kreme to make! Take note for next year please! Xx (I'm just giving up the cubed sign now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've just done a gingerbread ring - It was pretty yummers! :D. Now's the time to pick a new alias! QUUUUIIIICK!! Xx

      Delete