Tuesday 20 December 2016

Snackmas Day 20- M&S Parsnip, Camembert & Chestnut Pithivier

Pithivier. I didn't know how to say it until I googled it.. But it's pastry and what else does a pastry fanatic really need to know?! Oh I know what, it's only bloomin' vegetarian too! This one is for you, veggie members of the Snack Army! 


The 245g, single serve, puffed pastry tart cost me £3.50 in Marks and Spencer, where I found it situated amongst the regular vegetarian range - I am thankful for that festively green packaging making it stick out! Scanning the ingredients, the list was fairly few and far between with relatively minimal components compared to some of products the store produce which unnecessarily go on for days - Rejoice, there's not a single E number here! 


Parsnips (10%) with Camembert cheese (10%), chestnuts (9%), shallots (7%) and thyme encased in all butter (19%) puff pastry. 

I cooked as instructed in a 180ºC Fan oven for about 25 minutes and it turned out most inviting indeed - Beautifully golden and smelling just as sensational. Then I was in a quandary as to how I was going to get the Pithy out of the foil tray-ey.. 


With a bit of jiggery-pokery, I just about managed to get the tart onto a plate before wielding my knife and slicing in half - I can only apologise that it kind of looks a bit "vommy" but I can assure you, the scent alone would make you want to go for a face plant! Ridiculously flaky with buttery tones all the way, the pastry itself was sheer perfection and everything one could want from a puff. The packed encased filling, comprising of soft veggies and actual camembert chunks delivered loads of creamy, smooth cheesiness with parsnip and super sweet shallot to compliment. I couldn't taste any chestnuts nor did I find it to be overly herby or taste of thyme.. Not that it really mattered but it could have done however, with a smidgen more salt to really bring out the individual flavour profiles. 

Ooh-Eeh-Aah, M&S have done it again - This Parsnip, Camembert & Chestnut Pithivier is very almost top marks.. If only it had just that tad more seasoning! Get grinding the salt and bask in the cheesy, veggie glory whether you are vegetarian or not - You'll enjoy it, I promise! It's A 4.5 out of 5 from me. 

2 comments:

  1. I might have to try this. Also, I just realized why the KFC Xmas burger has a hash brown in it - for roast potatoes! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a whirl! :D You've got it! xx

      Delete