Wednesday 29 July 2015

Review- M&S NEW British Rhubarb & Custard Iced Buns

Everyone is probably sick of hearing me bang on about the AMAZING Lemon Curd Whitby Buns but I popped into M&S, intending to get myself another packet and found these next to them on the shelf.. British Rhubarb & Custard Iced Buns! Put your hands up if you are excited - Im excited!


2 custard flavour buns filled with rhubarb jam and topped with soft icing 


I love how uniformly round these buns are - They are very dinky and cute! 


My excitement with this bun was fairly short-lived - The dough was so dense and chewy - Nothing like its light and fluffy Lemon counterpart! It had 0 flavouring in the way of custard either! Things didn't improve much with the rhubarb filling.. The jam was very liquid-y with next to nothing, in tangyness. I am assuming it is the same bland stuff they used in their Rhubarb & Custard Cake which was very poor! The icing on top of the bun was thick and sweet but pretty nondescript and pointless since there was nothing good underneath! 

Once again, I feel cheated by M&S. I thought they had redeemed themselves but.. Alas, things are back down the Swanee. Save your £1.30 on these Rhubarb & Custard Buns and stick with the Lemon Curd. Its a very grumpy, 1 out 5 from me. 

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh M&S! They look so deceptively yum with that pretty pink icing too. Ah well at least you have those lemon wonders to cushion the blow of disappointment :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is something at least.. Im just tired of M&S producing duff treats! I have never known any other supermarket be consistently so terrible! I guess I am just a glutton for punishment but I am drawing a line - No more this summer and hope things improve come A/W! ;) x

      Delete
  2. This had such potential as well! I am devastated :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! I don't know what you mean, I brought some today and thought they were lovely! I wish I'd brought some more now, as I don't have an M&S near me and I think they might be limited edition. :( Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hannah! I am pleased you enjoyed yours - Mine were probably just duds.. I've noticed before that batches aren't consistent :( I don't expect they would ever live up to my expectations though after the amazing Lemon Curd ones - Maybe I should try the Rhubarb again before they disappear to see if I can share your delight! :D x

      Delete
    2. Hello again! I ate the rhubarb and custard ones first, so maybe that helped. :) The lemon curd ones are very scrummy and I wish I'd bought some more of them too! You should do, maybe they'll be better second time around. :) Hannah x

      Delete
    3. Hiii! :D It might have done but I probably did just had some dodgy dough.. It shouldn't happen but thats M&S for you - Zilch quality control! Im still not sure how the Rhubarb jam would fair though. Its worth another try defo! :D Glad you enjoyed the Lemony delights! Let me know if you have anything else exciting - I'm always eager to try different things :D x

      Delete
    4. Last new thing I tried was Green & Black's chilli chocolate, very nice, but only in small doses. If I ate it in large amounts my head would fall off! I suppose it depends on how much spice you like. :) Hannah x

      Delete