Sunday 19 July 2015

Review- Hope and Greenwood Pate De Fruit

I am quite the fan of Hope and Greenwood - They make some real amazing "posh" sweeties including Cherry Bakewell Bonbons and the Sicilian Lemon Curd Superior Coconut Ice, I reviewed previously. Today, it is the turn of the Pate De Fruit!


The 150g box consisting of Strawberry, Pear, Lemon, Raspberry and Apricot flavours, cost £3.99 in Waitrose - Quite a splurge!


I could only identify there to be 4 different coloured, 60% real fruit sweets in the box L-R Red, Green, Amber, Pinky Orange 


The sweets were sticky to the point where the sugar would stick like glue when even, ever so lightly touched - I didn't handle them for to long, in fear of losing all the coating! They had a ridiculosuly squidgy, jelly like texture which had a soft gummy chew before melting in the mouth. None were particularly fruity scented which did surprise me given that the flavours packed a serious punch! 

Red- As expected, this sweet was Strawberry flavoured and very strongly so! The taste was identical to that of a good quality jam which was a very pleasant surprise considering that most Strawberry sweets tend to either be wishy washy, artificial or sometimes even, medicinal tasting! 

Green- A potent Pear flavour came from this sweet - It was very true to the fruit and not like a hard boiled, nail polish-esque, Pear Drop. I also think that it had a slight apple aftertaste even though it is not listed as being one of the ingredients.. Maybe Mr Greenwood sneaked one in? 

Amber- I knew the flavour of this sweet in no time at all.. Apricot! Thinking about it, it probably tasted more of Apricots than actual Apricots do! They reminded me of Kellogg's Fruit Winders before they changed their recipe in attempt to make them healthy.. er. 

Pinky Orange- This one confused me a bit - I wasn't sure at first whether it was its own flavour or just a lighter coloured Strawberry/darker Apricot.. It turned out to be, what I think was, a Raspberry come Lemon, concoction! Although very pleasant, I do wish it had been easier to distinguish.

Overall, I loved yet another fabulously, flavoursome sweet from the Purveyors of Splendid Goods that are, Hope and Greenwood. They certainly aren't ordinary fruit jellies so if you are after something a bit fancier and don't mind paying a little bit extra, I highly recommend getting a box of these delights. Its a 4 out of 5 from me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment