Wednesday 20 April 2016

Review- Krispy Kreme NEW Lotus Billionaire and Lotus White Choc & Raspberry

Monday was what I like to call, KK Day - That special start to the week, only occurring once in a while* where the almighty Krispy Kreme release their NEW Doughnuts. This time the offerings weren't so "ingenious" but an extension to the already existing and bloomin' marvellous Lotus Caramelised Biscoff.. We've got Lotus Billionaire and Lotus White Choc & Raspberry! 


I didn't actually have any intention to buy into this duo given that the Original Biscoff should never, ever be messed with.. But MSW came home with them and I wasn't about to say no. Priced at the usual £1.90 a pop, the Doughnuts were noticeable smaller than other KK which seems a bit cheeky to me! - I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the Tesco Cabinets to see if this shrinkage discrepancy can be seen throughout the range or whether ours were just duffs. 

Lotus Billionaire


Filled with rich salted caramel, hand dipped in Lotus Biscoff spread & topped with dark chocolate shavings, Lotus Biscoff crumb and a sprinkle of gold dust. 

I appeared to have all shavings and very little dust on my Billionaire - It practically took over the dinky Doughnut.. Never mind that though, look at the golden puddle of a filling! Starting with the dough itself.. I can't fault it - Soft and supple with the signature flavour, there was nothing not to love. The oozing, runny, sticky caramel was also sheer perfection in being buttery, toffee like and the all important SALTED! I expected nothing but the usual, mediocre stuff but I was point blank wrong! - It was just the right amount of saline to compliment the sweet and went superbly with the spread topping along with crumb which naturally, tasted identical to the Original Lotus Doughnut. As for the dark chocolate shavings, they too delivered in terms of rich cocoa tones and were by far the best I've experienced from KK who's chocolate more often than not, leaves quite a bit to be desired. It's a 4.5 out of 5 from me! 

Lotus White Choc & Raspberry


A raspberry jam & kreme filling infused with Lotus Biscoff, dipped in white chocolate and topped with Biscoff crumb, white chocolate and raspberry pieces. 

Onto the fruity option which naturally, I had extremely high hopes for after the shocker of a brilliant, Billionaire. Similarly to above, both the texture was spot on along with the flavour as well as a packed filling. Biting through the fluffy dough, the white chocolate topping cracked and ended up everywhere but tasted lovely and sweet and creamy - Not many raspberry pieces though which was a a shame! The whipped Kreme centre which was combined with a well proportioned blob of thick jam was super creamy, fruity and together, uncanny in taste to Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream! The Biscoff crumbs on top were just enough to give a whiff of Lotus without ruining what was essentially already exemplary. Another 4.5 out of 5 from me! 

Wow. Some serious game uppage from Krispy Kreme has just occured here.. These NEW Lotus Billionaire and Lotus White Choc & Raspberry have to be the best release since the Original Lotus Caramelised Biscoff! - I don't know why I ever doubted them and more importantly, why they weren't the Christmas Doughnuts.. They would have been ideal! My only qualm is the questionable size but other than that, I can find very little fault and can see myself easily consuming dozens before they disappear.. They just need to be part of the permanent range really! Don't you dare let down the team and fall from grace, KK.. We're** watching you. 

*Sometimes weeks, sometimes months, sometimes forever and a day. 
**"We're" being myself and the NibsnScribs - Go read her review! She's snazzy!

6 comments:

  1. Definitely need to go and pick these up! They look epic. I loved the original Biscoff and after your review I'm pretty sure I'll love these two as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You defo do! I hope yours are as well filled as mine.. A couple of people have said to me that theres totally lacked lustre :( Silly inconsistent KK! xx

      Delete
    2. I bought them and tried them over the last couple of days and unfortunately mine really lacked filling. In particular the billionaire one which virtually had no caramel in!! So disappointing. The white chocolate and raspberry fared slightly better but was predominantly raspberry with very little Kreme. Boo hoo. Don't know whether to go back and try again. I ended up throwing most of the billionaires away due to the complete lack of filling.

      Delete
    3. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that :( I am starting to think that I just got lucky.. As no one else seems to have loved them, mostly due to their lack of filling :( Krispy Kreme really need to sort out the inconsistency they have going on.. At £1.90 a pop, it's beginning to take the mickey! xx

      Delete
    4. I went and bought another Billionaires one today and it was much better - thankfully! I have yet to try the other white chocolate and raspberry one I bought though. I really do hate how inconsistent they are though, it is a bit of a joke for £1.90 and especially for the filled ones it's pretty much the filling that makes them. For a global company you would think they would have their production method refined enough by now to be able to have a consistent method! xx

      Delete
    5. Oh yay! I am pleased you've tasted KK glory ;) I have had another of the White Choc & Rasp and it was filled generously too.. But this time it was part of a dozen box not individually. I think they've become sloppier as they've become more popular - 2/3 years back when a cabinet first arrived in my Tesco, they always delivered. Now, they look like they've been chucked around the back of a lorry before being stomped on and put on the shelf! Haha. I guess quality control goes out the window when you're delivering to 700 stores or whatever they claim! xx

      Delete