Monday 15 February 2016

Review- M&S Balanaced For You NEW Cod & Salmon Root Veg Risotto

I've been on a bit of a Chicken Chow Mein kick lately - It's quick, easy and surprisingly not all that bad for you! I have been buying it all over the place but have come to the conclusion that my firm favourite is the Balanced For You option from M&S.. Which bring us to today - Cod & Salmon Root Veg Risotto! Wait, what?


Cod and salmon pieces with a vegetable risotto made of carrots, butternut squash and sweet potatoes in a tomato sauce topped with spinach 

Don't worry, I haven't completely lost it - I picked up 2 Chow Mein meals and opted for this as my third item in the 3 for £10 deal. I am uncertain of its individual price but figured that since it was NEW, it would make a good review and whacked in the basket.. Despite not being all that big of a fan of Risotto or baked salmon. Hmm. 


I microwaved my meal for the instructed 4 minutes to produce something that looked uncannily similar to a vomitting session I had in the early Noughties.. Jolly good, moving on! I proceeded to give the thing a good stir and was a little surprised how liquid-y it appeared to be - Although the "Risotto" was of the veg kind rather than traditional rice, it didn't have any of the creaminess I envisaged! Taste wise, it was just as confusing with a super tomato flavour paired with mushy vegetables but a really fishy kick to overpower the lot thanks to the abundance of big, flaky chunks. I wouldn't usually complain about such a thing but when something tastes purely of the sea, it's near impossible not to mention! The spinach floating on top didn't add a lot in terms of flavour either but did bring a nice burst of colour to the dish, so there is that!

OK, I'm now thinking I should have just gotten 3 Chicken Chow Mein and steered well clear of this Cod & Salmon Root Veg Risotto - Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. The meal doesn't work and it's as simple as that, unfortunately - The "Risotto" part is actually quite tasty but by plopping fish in there, you're left with some sort of confused, mish-mash of soup and sea! Granted, cooked salmon isn't my favourite but the combination of the two elements here is just bizarre and as usual, I am left wondering.. What on earth were you thinking M&S!? It's a 1.5 out of 5 from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment