Sunday 2 August 2015

Review- Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Caramel Brownie Cake

What happens when a fellow snack blogger decides to go sugar free? Apart from losing the plot.. They pass the buck and you are forced into buying all the delicious things they can't! This purchase is entirely down to the enabler that is @kevvieguy, the once sugar fiend turned Paleo preacher behind http://kevssnackreviews.blogspot.co.uk


Being ever so obedient AKA easily swayed, I hopped on down to Sainbury's and picked up the Taste the Difference Caramel Brownie Cake for £6 - Quite pricey for a "everyday" cake! 


Plain sponge, toffee flavoured sponge and chocolate brownie sandwiched with caramel buttercream and salted caramel sauce, covered in caramel buttercream and topped with a dusting of sweetened cocoa. 


As promised, the 3 layers of the cake were very distinct and cut easily with a sharp knife.


Now, doesn't that look inviting?! The smell of a buttery caramel, treacle and chocolate concoction almost had me scoffing the lot before I had even taken a picture! It tasted heavenly! The bottom layer of brownie was just how all good brownies should be - Dense and fudgey with rich chocolatey taste. A thick layer of salted caramel sat upon it, full of sweet butteriness and miraculously, was actually salted! The cake layers were soft, moist and sweet with treacle undertones coming from the middle layer of caramel sponge. I wouldn't have been able to identify the buttercream as being any particular flavour - It mainly tasted creamy and sweet but with all the other flavours going on, it didn't make much of a difference. The cocoa on top was a nice finishing touch to give a slight boost of overall chocolate flavour to what was one, very sticky, squidgy, delicious cake!

Overall, I am pretty much in love with this Caramel Brownie Cake.. And in turn, Kev, for making me buy it! All the layers go perfectly together but I have to say, this is definitely one for the sugar fanatics who aren't deterred by lots of different elements in a cake. There is another relatively NEW, Taste the Difference triple layer cake, Blackberry Ripple, which as always, I am eager to try next. I am sure it won't take much of a push from anyone for me to buy it.. Its a 4 out of 5 for todays, sweet delight! 


4 comments:

  1. Cheers for the mention, I'm glad you enjoyed it! 😀 Looking forward to your review of the Bkackcurrant one...that sounds a bit different as far as cakes go (although, there seems to be lots of unusual cake varieties around at the mo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't not mention you when you virtually forced it upon me.. Haha! I am going to try and wait until they are on offer as £6 is really quite expensive. The supermarkets have gone cake crazy with not many of them being a success sadly lol this sainsburys one has to be the best I've had though! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow!! I love this blog but making comments is hard because of the "i'm not a robot" verification thing.

    Anyway, I can taste sweet just by looking at the pictures, it looks so sweet but also yummy. I worked out that in the whole cake, there is the same amount of sugar as in 12 cans of coke which is quite frightening because me and my boyfriend could probably eat the whole thing in 1 go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that because you are a robot, Karen? Haha! I am sorry it isn't user friendly, I shall try to find a way to make it a little less troublesome :D. Yeah.. It is sweet but mighty delicious! The flavour is spot on and didn't ensue any throat burning which is always a winner in my book! Eek.. Its a good job I don't drink coke or eat the entire cake then isn't it haha that would have been a sugar rush and a half! I would be impressed if you could.. I think even the starving would struggle after 1/3 lol! If you do try one, let me know how you and your boyfriend like it :D x

      Delete