Wednesday 7 November 2018

Review- The Great British Porridge Co: Goji Berry & Pumpkin Seed and Blueberry & Banana

Hi-de-Hi Campers! Yes, it is me - I am back! Hands up, who missed me? Is anyone still even hanging on? I'd be surprised if you were.. It has only been over a year since my last review afterall! Sorry about that.. Life seemed to take over, something had to give and unfortunately, the Bloggy got put on the back burner. But no matter, what's everyone been up to? Been anywhere nice? Met anyone special? Anyone produced an offspring? Or are the majority of us still rocking the food baby and the food baby alone? Yes? Fantastic! On to the review*! 

Way back when in August, I was very kindly sent some Great British Porridge Co. samples to try and truth be told, up until a fortnight ago, I hadn't touched them. Despite being a massive fan of the stuff, my craving of a warm breakfast was very much amiss but with the nippier mornings now upon us, I am back on the Porridge train and in turn give to thee, Goji Berry & Pumpkin Seed and Blueberry & Banana! 


Now, there was actually a third flavour in my Porridge parcel, Strawberry & Peanut Butter** but sadly the bag must have sustained an injury in transit as the entire contents of the pouch had emptied into the package (And my dining room, I might add!) thus rendering it inedible.. But no matter, the best varieties made it to my bowl and belly!

Gluten Free, Vegan and containing no added sugar, these Instant Porridges pride themselves on being wholesome and natural, having zero in terms of artificial colours, flavouring or preservatives as well as being crammed with all the vitamins, minerals and almighty protein that our little bodies need to keep ticking over. 

As instructed, I weighed out a rather generous 55g, added 100ml of boiled water, stirred a whirl and let it rest for 30 seconds prior to digging in. 

Goji Berry & Pumpkin Seed 
 

Gluten free wholegrain oats, dates, coconut milk (90% coconut milk, 8% maltodextrin, 2% cornstarch), pumpkin seeds (10%), goji berries (7%), chia (salvia hispanica) seeds.

Having never tried an Instant Porridge previously, I wasn't really sure what to expect - I even questioned whether I had prepared my oats correctly when it came out as runny as it did! Virtually scentless, bar a hint of generic berry, the porridge was surprisingly smooth yet plenty substantial thanks to the abundance of "nutty" pumpkin seeds mixed throughout. A chew came from the ruby red, Goji Berries which also delivered a flavour which I can only describe as tangy and borderline sour. The two tastes combined with a good kick of coconut and the familiar comfort that comes hand in hand with any oats, made for one very wholesome and filling breakfast! 


So.. I was bold and took it upon myself to microwave what I had left of the above - Not suggested anywhere on the bag but rules are for breaking and I do like a thicker Porridge! A nice big old sticky clump was produced, which not only brought out a delicious "toffee like" date flavour but also provided a roasted hit to the oats. I liked it and I liked it a lot! - It's a 4 out of 5 from me!

Blueberry & Banana


Gluten free wholegrain oats, dates, sunflower seeds, coconut milk (90% coconut milk, 8% maltodextrin, 2% cornstarch), chia (salvia hispanic) seeds, banana (3%), blueberry (3%).  

Moving onto our second option and it ain't pretty, I'll say that much! Lilac hued and smelling not much in the way of banana despite the initial waft when opening the bag, this Porridge once again tasted really quite wholesome but sadly, not enough in terms of fruitiness to counteract the earthy tones. Texture wise, I found it a bit of a weird one also.. Liquid yet lumpy and a little too easy to choke upon! 


Having given it a brief zap, the aforementioned qualms were soon eliminated with a now gloriously dense although still plenty soft, feel and return of the sweetness of dates to pair with the tropical coconut element. There may have been a glimmer of the blueberries.. But the banana still proved to be as elusive as ever! It's a 3.5 out of 5 from me. 

Overall, I definitely think that The Great British Porridge Co. are onto something here. Yes, the flavours could do with a slight tweaking.. But a super speedy, nutritious base seems like a good place to start to me and chances are, you will only go and top your bowl with more fruit anyway so anything potentially lacking can easily be glossed over! 

As for the preparation method.. It does work but personal preference took over and I couldn't help but deviate! That is not to say by any means that the "slop" won't tickle your pickle though - You do you, Huns - I just love me some stodge!  

Go check out TGBPC (Cor, that's an acronym and a half!) to find out more and perhaps even treat yourself to a Porridge pouch or two! 

RRP £4.99 per 385g - Samples sent in exchange for a review. Opinions very much my own. 

*Did I do okay? I mean, I realise this ain't my first Rodeo but it's been a stretch.. Are we meant to include nutritional information now? Someone provide guidance, please!     
**Quite glad it was this flavour. Still deathly intolerant to THE PEANUT. Still avoiding it like the plague. Still hate Nestle. Still sassy.   

5 comments:

  1. This is a glorious time to be alive! Gluten free porridge AND the cakey returneth! Please don’t go away again for too long this time? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a revolution, isn't it!? Here's to hoping I manage to produce a few reviews before I go MIA for one reason or another! Haha xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see you back! : ) Thank you for the reviews too, made me smile as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it is great to be back! Thank you for the lovely comment! :D xx

      Delete
  3. Excellent review there - the time away hasn't dulled your type-type-words-words skills! Much love <3 (Also, write more? PlzKthxBAI!)

    ReplyDelete