Tuesday 26 July 2016

Review- M&S NEW Spirit of Summer: Mustard Pie Dogs

So it seems that pork based products are now being referred to as Dogs or Puppies.. Well at least in M&S Land anyways and regardless to whether actual "Hot Dogs" come in to it or not. I don't really get it personally - A sausage is a sausage and a sausage roll is a sausage roll in my world but here are Mustard Pie Dogs, courtesy of Spirit of Summer. 


I picked up the 150g, pack of 2 for £2.50 in the ready to eat, cooked meat section where I am pretty sure they were part of some offer - Not that I can recall what exactly! Obviously, given the use to meat here, they aren't suitable for Vegetarians or to freeze so meat-goers best scoff them within 3 days, either warmed at 160ºC Fan for 10-12 minutes as instructed or cold, having been removed from the fridge 30 minutes earlier. 


Seasoned British pork encased in a hot water crust pastry with a mustard centre. 


I was a little disappointed upon first cut to see a massive gap between the filling and pastry.. Not to mention the meat appeared to be more of a mince than the chunks I envisaged! Soft, crumbly and buttery is the only way to describe the outer casing which had some mysterious, delicious coating that needs to be on everything. The flavour of pork definitely shone despite my initial concerns of abundance with the mustard adding some moisture and proving not to be hot in the slightest but instead, the american kind with it's undeniably sweet flavour. The seasoning throughout rounded things off nicely with onion and garlic at the forefront and some non-spicy warmth to match - Delish! 

Overall, I am quite surprised that I liked these Mustard Pie Dogs as much as I did.. And the fact, MSW didn't! I think the trick here is to eat them cold as even I have to admit, they weren't all that enjoyable warm. See past the name that they're not a sausage roll, pie or fluffy Dog and get yourself some - They will make a fab addition to any picnic! It's a 4 out of 5 from me. 

6 comments:

  1. Can't say this is tickling my fancy! I'm airing on the MSW side on this one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I didn't think they would either! It's about the least "me" snack around but I was pleasantly surprised.. I've broadened my horizons Peanut Poo! :D xx

      Delete
  2. I've been umming and aahing about these as they seem quite expensive but think this has convinced me to get them as a treat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are definitely worse a whirl and aren't something I'd ever had before! xx

      Delete
  3. I'm team MSW too...plus I don't like gaps in my pork products haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust you haha. Don't knock them until you've tried them - Her mistake was heating them so don't do that! xx

      Delete