Thursday 29 October 2015

Review- Cauldron Lincolnshire Vegetarian Sausages

We like Veggie Sausages here on R4R but so far both previous reviews of such a thing, Tesco's Everyday Value  and the Glamorgan, have been verging towards Croquette territory rather than actual Sausie. Today, there is none of that with this offering from Cauldron, makers of the Lincolnshire Vegetarian Sausage! Tesco was my port of call when buying the pack of 6 for £2.50 which live next to the fresh Quorn products. 


Made from an authentic recipe of vegetable protein with sage and pepper seasoning 


Veggie Sausages are one thing that never looks attractive when photographed - I apologise. Luckily they taste a hell of a lot better than they look! As soon as I took a bite, I thought "Rooks!". Whats Rooks?, I hear you ask. Its only the best Butchers in Kent and providers of all the usual and expected raw meats as well as hot, cooked sweet and savoury goods - Their herby Sausage is out of this world! These Caldron Veggies were almost identical.. You wouldn't know they weren't real meat although they do have that slight "quorn" aftertaste which you'll know if you're a regular eater of such things. The flavour is spot on and full of herby taste with a good seasoning of salt and pepper - I did almost find the latter to be to much but I am a wimp when it comes to any sort of "heat". Texture wise, things were tip top as well - They had a very meaty feel minus the fat and grease of course, with a "skin" that was crisp and chewy. 

I think I might have just gone and found myself a new favourite Veggie Sausage - These Cauldron Lincolnshire jobbies are definitely on par with the Linda McCartney's Red Onion & Rosemary Sausies and we all know how amazing they are! I can't quite believe I've gone this long without them.. I can easily see them becoming a staple weeknight meal. Its a big old, 4.5 out of 5 from me! 


20 comments:

  1. I bloomin love the Linda McCartney red onion ones! Maybe I shall give these a wee go too. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Nobby, me too! You defo should - Its just a shame they're a tad more pricey than Linda :( xx

      Delete
  2. Cauldron falafels are gorgeous too 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't eat those because of the chickpeas! :( xx

      Delete
  3. Cauldron are one of my favourite vegetarian brands! They do so many delicious things :) great review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! I do like an Erin seal of approval ;) xx

      Delete
  4. Whyou did Cauldron change their successful veggie Lincolnshire sausage into a tasteless vegan one.
    They were (past tense?) The best veggie sausage on the market.
    I won't be buying them again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually hunted down reviews on these sausages as the ones I'd been buying until recently were invariably delicious. Suddenly, in the past few weeks, the texture was like runny putty and they were gummy in their boxes and they left a black mess in the grill which the ones made by them before, never did. I want to know what's going on - but here I see I'm not alone in my shock. The way they were made before was fantastic and we were practically fighting over them. None of us like the new versions so won't be buying again.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree. I have been buying them for over 6 years and they were by far the best veggie sausages on the market, flavoursome and and good texture. Now they are tasteless and rubbery not and not much different from the likes of Linda McCartney sausages. I have emailed the company on my views. I am very disappointed and wont be buying the new ones. They had a perfectly good product and have changed it to chase the vegan pound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cauldron have totally ruined both of their sausage options. I used to love the Lincolnshire ones and bought them very regularly. The new vegan ones are absolutely awful. Horrid texture and a lot less healthy. I also liked veg.butcher "little willies". I can't find them now. Any recommendations please for decent veggie options would be most welcome. Desperately hope cauldron realise what a massive mistake they have made. Have left my comments on their site along with many others with no positive response!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very disappointed with the new range of sausages, so horrible my dog even refused them. I will not be getting those again. It is a shame as they was the best before. Change them back please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, nobody I know likes them. My family wouldn’t eat them! Please let’s have the old recipe back!

      Delete
  8. I completely agree with the comments above. I have been buying the veggie sausages for years and years. I've recommended them to countless friends and family members. Sadly they are now completely different. They're pale, slimy, tasteless and watery. Why oh why did you change the recipe. I understand that you want to cover the vegan market but perhaps you should've considered that you'll be losing a proportion of your veggie market. Have both options, please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly I too found the new Cauldron sausages a huge disappointment. You can hardly call them sausages, just lumps of brown sticky gunk. I've been buying Cauldron products for years but with the current change to the recipes, I won't be buying them again and in fact will probably throw away the ones I've already bought.
    Have a re-think Cauldron and return to your old and much loved sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just had a shocked as unpacked my recent purchase of sausages to find they are sticky and slimy. I thought maybe they had gone out of date but not so. Awful. I have always loved my cauldron sausages but wont ever buy these again. Please change back to the old recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree. They were my favorite but the new 'Carbon Neutral' product in disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really hope Cauldron decide to reinstate their vegetarian sausages. They are ace. Can't bear the vegan version.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree totally with all the recent comments. Have tried both the Cumberland and Lincolnshire vegan sausages, the vegetarian version was 100% better. Great shame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. please change your sausages back to how they were, until then i am reluctantly buying another make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. new ones are vile my dog would not eat them in the bin they went,wake up cauldron and how did they pass the taste test sack the chef bring back cauldron old susages,they will realise when sales drop quickly

    ReplyDelete