Sunday 9 October 2016

Review- M&S NEW Potato Tots

I love potatoes.. Be it as chips, jackets, roasters or mash, I am only too happy to eat them any which way offered! I have however never had the American classic of Tater Tots which is why I was curious to see how these M&S NEW Potato Tots would fair.. Just another "kids" croquette wannabe or something of an epic "Stateside" level!?


Mash potatoes with butter and seasoning. 

I picked up the 265g sleeved pack in the fresh section, amongst all the other potato side dishes, for what I think was £2.. Ish - I appear to have lost the receipt, sorry! Suitable for Vegetarians, the Tots ingredient list is pretty sparse making them not too bad calorie and fat wise for the health fanatics also.. But neither group should freeze them as the packaging says not!


16 delightfully dinky, cylindrical shapes were presented and ready to be tipped onto a baking tray, to go into a 200ºC Fan oven for about 20 minutes - Shame they weren't already in a handy foil number but alas. 


The Potato Tots cooked a treat and looked remarkably alike the image on the packaging.. Albeit not as flat - Perhaps I should have squished mine a bit! A crispy outer coating was the ideal contrast to the interior* within which was similar to mash potato in being extremely soft and fluffy. Flavour wise, they were a little stranger with a taste somewhere between artificial and an undercooked frozen potato product, be it Waffles or an equivalent. There was definitely a butteriness but I can't say that improved things much along with a real pepper-y kick which as expected, wasn't to my liking at all! Not for me! 

So.. Is this really what the famous and ever so popular Tater Tot is all about? Because either M&S have royally cocked up or they genuinely are pretty rubbish. I won't be buying them again that's for sure and suggest you don't either! It's a 1.5 out of 5 from me. 
  
*There was an interior shot but I've never seen anything so blurry in my life. Things I need to work on: Receipt management, Photography skills. 

7 comments:

  1. Sort it out love! I need to know how much they cost even though they were rubbish xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may have been £2.75.. I can't handle the pressure!! xx

      Delete
  2. I think that Iceland's Potato & Bacon Crunchies are the closest thing to actual Tater Tots that we can get in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo thanks for the tip - I shall have a looksee! xx

      Delete
  3. I live in the US and I have to tell you...they really don't LOOK like "real" tater tots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely not the golden, crispy fried sort! :( xx

      Delete